This is an etymological puzzle, probably a false one, maybe not an entertainingless one. While preparing notes for a course, I dipped into Moses the Egyptian by Jan Assmann, and came across this sentence: “The belief in the ‘Supreme Being’ (Hypsistos) has a distinctly cosmopolitan character” (51). Maybe it was the linking of Hypsistos and cosmopolitanism that caused me to think of hipsters. The Urban Dictionary definition of “hipster” cites the cosmopolitan element.
- The Hans Blumenberg Society Is Open for Membership
- “What People Gladly Accept Cannot Be the Truth”
- Esther Dyson: I own my own content
- Upscale People’s Brains Can Be Stormy
- The door to freedom is on the left
- More Lies about Education
- The Nate Silver Generation?
- A Poverty of Possibilities among the Rich
- Prestigious Institutions where Education is second to Revenue
- Oprah wins in Texas